Friday, 13 July 2012

Final thoughts - Kirsty

As I come to conclude my thoughts on this blog I am left wondering where to start. All major happenings have been covered already so wishing not to repeat I have opted for a more reflective approach!

9 months of travelling. That's 9 months away from work, friends, the community network and life I am so comfortable in and thrive in. Before I left I can't say I had any set objectives for the year, therefore on reflection I can't really say I've ticked them off! I know, however, that I have achieved a lot, more than most people can ever dream of covering in a lifetime. And for that I am truly thankful and blessed - not least to work for allowing me the time to explore, but also to friends and family who have been so supportive throughout. I like to think as my time away as not just a list of places I've seen and things I've done, rather a series of experiences - more diverse, out my comfort zone and often challenging than what I've ever done in the UK. We've hardly been 'roughing it' and frequently referred to ourselves as "sophisticated backpackers" but nonetheless we have experiences we will never forget and that money can't buy. Experiences such as staying with locals and embracing cultures totally different to our own, navigating ourselves around countries where we have little grasp on the language and making a life in a new country.
Seeing nature at its most beautiful and powerful has been for me a deeply spiritual experience where I feel the earth's beauty glorifies the God I worship. The sunsets and the sunrises, the colours of the autumn leaves, the rolling of the waves and waterfalls. Add to this visiting so many good friends and family around the globe - all who have welcomed us with open arms and been keen to share their lives with us. It's so good to spend time with people in their environments, and I definitely think I can understand more when I speak to them now I can picture places and people in their lives.

You can't help but realise you are a very small person in a very big world. Every person I've seen has a life, a story and a purpose. A deeper sense of perspective on my own life and appreciation for others is something I hope I won't lose when I get back to 9-5 work and 'everyday life'. We've seen super rich and super poor, and it's easy to judge, labelling some lifestyles more fickle than another. Yes some cultures are more fortunate, some wasteful, some simple and some just different. But that's ok. We live in a world of diversity and that is such a good thing. Of course you see poverty and abuse, as we did in parts of Asia but often these are places you also see raw contentment - something often lacking in more developed countries. I feel challenged to no longer use ignorance as an excuse for injustice and global issues and to try and better support positive work in these countries and at home.

Processing the adventures and looking to starting my life in Manchester again leaves many questions. My greatest fear for this year was change back home. I wanted to just pause my life in Manchester, so I could just pick up where I left off on my return. Friends and colleagues assured me that in a year very little would change, and that rather than 'miss out' on things at home, people would rather more be jealous of my adventures. As someone who struggles with change, however small, I have accepted that it is a fact of life. Contantly moving and being in new surroundings has made me more adaptable and flexible. I know I could live somewhere else, I know I can start a conversation with randoms in a hostel and I have come to appreciate change as more exciting than just daunting. I'm sure I will quickly get used to UK life again, having a 9-5 job, having routine. I am desperate to not box this adventure up, or confine it to the scrapbooks, but to be mindful of what I've learned and others I've met. When im stuck in a traffic jam I hope I can reflect and think of people and cultures I've met. I'm sure it's easier said than done though!

I guess all that's left to say is a big thankyou to you all for coming on the journey with us, the emails of encouragement and the early morning Skype conversations. I cannot wait to see you all again.

In answer to all the questions I'm anticipating people will ask- I have attempted to summarise:

Overall experience? - incredible. I know I could live abroad and have had positive experiences everywhere.
Favourite places? - I think my favourite cities would be Chicago, Sydney and New York. My favourite place of natural beauty would be New Zealand, favourite event the Aussie tennis open.
Best Journey? - Driving through the Canadian Rockies.
Suprises? - The country I was most surprised with was Vietnam and the strangest experience in Asia (ask me in person!)
What will I miss? It's funny as I know what I will miss - seeing Marie everyday, arriving in a new place and sussing out a plan of things to do and see. From an entirely selfish and materialistic point of view - I am not, however, going to miss carrying around my backpack and wearing the same clothes.

Dora the Explorer signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment