Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Update - Marie

First of all apologies for the lack of blogging of late.  That's mainly been for your own good though, as I haven't had anything interesting to say and didn't want to bore you all!  Life has been ticking along in Sydney, with nothing major to report on.  Much of my time over the past few weeks has been spent either looking for a job, looking for somewhere to live, or working, but thankfully life is starting to liven up a bit now!

For two weeks I was working in a language school teaching Korean students, which was...interesting!  It was great to be teaching again but this particular job turned out to be very disorganised and stressful, and I was rather relieved when they told me that the next course I was supposed to teach wouldn't actually be going ahead!  I'm now working as a housemaid in a hotel, which is a lot less stressful!  It's nice to be doing a job where I can just go home and forget about it, and not have to spend hours preparing lessons!

I've just moved into a new house, where I'll be living for the rest of the time in Sydney.  It's owned by a lady from church and so I'm sharing with her and a girl who is a music student.  Oh and Poppy the cat, who is my friend already!  It's a beautiful house, only 2 years old and with a lovely garden out the back.  I'm about 5 minutes from the shops and closer to the beach than I was before so it's a good location!  The lady who owns it grew up in France so I'm looking forward to some French conversations! 

Last week I went on a church weekend away, up in North Sydney, which was really great.  It was nice to have chance to chat to people properly and to get to know them better, I feel very well settled in church now!
 
The weather has brightened up somewhat (although still with a rather large amount of rain) and so I feel I've been able to experience real Sydney life now!  Sydney in the sun is a lot more interesting than Sydney in the rain!  I've been to the beach a few times lately, done a couple of coastal walks, spent a lot of time in the park and had my first dip in the pacific!  It was in a tiny cove and there were definitely no sharks so I felt (relatively) safe! 

This last week my friend Nicola has been to visit from Melbourne so it was lovely to spend time with her.  It was also a good excuse to do some more exploring and act like I'm on holiday again.  When I wasn't working we spent time on the beach (albeit sometimes in the rain!), did a coastal walk in the dark, explored 'The Rocks' area on a guided walking tour, checked out some bars and restaurants, admired views of Sydney from a 29th floor office and ate a huge number of McDonald's 50c ice-cream cones!  We also went on a little trip to Canberra but I'll save that for another blog post...

No comments:

Post a Comment